Sunday, May 06, 2007

The Oklahoma Quarter




The US Mint began producing state quarters in 1998 at the snails rate of 5 per year. Being that my home state is #46, I've had 9 years to ponder and anticipate the image that would represent Oklahoma. From the time I saw the first state quarter (Delaware) I hoped that Oklahoma's remarkable state bird, the scissor-tail flycatcher, would grace our quarter. On April 30th, Governor Brad Henry announced that the image of the scissor-tail flycatcher would indeed represent Oklahoma on it's quarter.
If you've never lived in Oklahoma you've probably never seen a scissor tail. Their range is very limited and they spend their summer almost exclusively in the Sooner state. I am very pleased that Oklahomans chose this beautiful state icon to represent us.

1 comment:

Benjamin Bryant Parks said...

I am still upset we didn't get the Nellie Johnstone as one of the choices?

How about the Tulsa Driller? Maybe an interlocking OU?