Thursday, June 21, 2007

My 10 Most Worthless Country Music Songs

Last night, while running I heard a new song release from fellow Boston Marathoner, Joe De Messina called "Biker Chick." I failed to make a real connection with the song or distinguish a discernible point. Before I enjoy any movie, book, or song, I make the assumption that the author had some intended theme or message that they wanted to communicate to their audience. The motivation for a song should be a virtue or experience that the author found so inspiring he wasn't able to keep it to himself. Frequently country music releases and celebrates music that challenges my assumption. I have failed to find an ideal or concept that elevates humanity or the culture in any of the songs below.
(In no particular order)

1.) Bubba Shot the Jukebox
2.) Honky Tonk Badonkadonk
3.) Prop Me Up Beside the Jukebox When I Die
*Country music does "Weekend at Bernie's "
4.) John Deere Green
5.) Papa Loved Momma
*Song about an 18 wheeler, motel, and love triangle
6.) Red Neck Yacht Club
*Alcohol + Boating, what could go wrong?
7.) Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
*Travis Tritt exposes the feelings and social behaviors of the angry drunk.
8.) She Thinks my Tractors Sexy
9.) Have you Forgotten?
*Only song I know that used a phrase that rhymed with "Bin Laden."
10.)Seminole Wind
*I don't know what one is, but maybe the Seminole Wind is responsible for this.

If any of the songs above has influenced or changed your life, please share.

7 comments:

Luke said...

Your #1 pick was hot on the radio when we "adopted" our first stray dog. His name, of course, became Bubba. It was a joke at first, but he really grew into it.

Sarah2280 said...

Lets face it, not all country songs can have the literary merit and philosophical importance of Reba McEntire's "Fancy."

Russ said...

I think you're just failing to see the deep emotional themes running through the songs of country music. I'll loan you my Charlie Daniel's box set sometime...

Benjamin Bryant Parks said...

I don't like your tone here man.

We need more songs about dudes named Bubba.

Can we get a song about Jeff Gordon sometime. That would be sweet.

Anonymous said...

I hate to admit it, but I actually knew some of those songs.

Anonymous said...

DP- In my book, your title is redundant and the list is incomplete as just about every country music song is worthless -- Ries (for some reason

Anonymous said...

for some reason, I've got to use Tracey's account to comment