Monday, February 18, 2008

Jack Trice

I found this story in an espn.com feature on Black History Month. Jack Trice was the first black football player at Iowa State in the early 1920's. He died at the age of 21 as a result of injuries suffered in a game against Minnesota in 1923. Whether those injuries were the unfortunate natural byproduct of a violent game (football was much more violent then) or he was targeted because of the color of his skin is unclear. I think you will enjoy the article.

2 comments:

c said...

Sorry David I am not commenting on your sports stories! Just sending a note to your lovely wife! Thanks Amy for your comment on my blog. Hope you guys get enough snow to enjoy a little play time!
Hope to see a post about your girls soon! =)

Shana said...

Hey David

I have to check up on your blog occasionally to let Troy know about any new sports stories. He really enjoys reading yours. Did he tell you that he got invited to officiate a University of Texas practice/scrimmage today in Austin? He was pretty pumped when he left here today. Hope all is well with you guys. Tell Amy to let me know if she starts a blog so I can keep up with the kiddos.