Monday, July 14, 2008

Astro-Not


After much internal debate I have decided to reassign my MLB fandom. As long as I can remember watching baseball, I have been a fan of the Houston Astros (the city of my birth). My earliest memories of watching the team come from the 1981 NLCS vs. the Phillies. At the age of thirteen I avidly followed the 1986 team to a Western Division title. During my two summers in Europe I made daily trips to the local sports book to check the previous day's game results. In 2005 I stayed up late nights watching them get swept by Chicago White Sox. It is therefore with great difficulty that I have decided to go in search of a new team with which to dedicate my loyalties.
So why am I jumping off? The past two season have seen the departures of two Astro icons, Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell. I grew up pulling for both guys for the better part of 16 seasons and watching games without them leaves me a little empty. The guys who have been brought in are not exactly solid citizens, or honest, or clean. The final and most practical reason for my disassociation is the geography. Probably not going to load the kids in the car and make the 14 hour trek for a 3 game set with the Brewers.

I’ll need a new team.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Give the Cardinals a try. They're talented, have great fans, and a AAA team in Memphis. I have been a fan for 23 years and it's worked out pretty good for me.