Wednesday, April 25, 2007

My Only Quasi-Winkler Post......

I would like to get your opinons on this article that was published Monday in the Columbia Daily Herald. The author is a local woman who is a little bitter at her CoC upbringing. Despite her claims to the contrary, she pins the Winkler murder on the old school CoC methodology. Check it out.......

Link

Pretty often I find former members of the church of Chirst to be pretty bitter people about some aspect of their religious heritage. Often times I am sympathetic to their frustrations. That being said, I think the author fails to demonstrate how a women's silence for an hour on Sunday creates a scenario in which she has no audience to voice her personal problems for the other 167 hours in the week. What do you think?

Also, a few thoughts on the Winkler case......

Will?/Can/Should her church forgive her for murdering her husband?

Would they have forgiven her if she had divorced him?

How much time in jail time did Mrs. Winkler's mild & meek appearance save her?

What are the fundamental differences in situations of Mary Winkler and Scott Peterson?

In handing out punishment for crimes how would you rank the following.....
* justice for the victim
* rehabilitating the violater
* protecting society

2 comments:

Russ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Russ said...

Trying again . . .

I've been emailing the Anonymous
Mother about her article. I just wanted to tell her that not all churches of Christ are "extreme fundamentalists." I sympathize with her upbringing (apparently she grew up in a legalistic, non-instituational COC), but I still think she paints with too broad a brush. You ought to email her your thoughts. She always replies.